This week, I saw The Maltese Falcon (Bogie doing what he does best) and the last four episodes of this season’s Breaking Bad (utterly breathtaking). These links made my life better:
- The absolute highlight of my week was Julian Joslin’s awesome parody of This American Life. Joslin doesn’t particularly sound like Ira Glass, but he flawlessly nailed Glass’ speech patterns, verbal mannerisms, and narrative style. Also, I told you guys that Terry Gross is a pervert.
- The adorable and funny Mindy Kaling confesses her love for romantic comedies. I totally agree with her assertion that “romantic comedies [are] a subgenre of sci-fi, in which the world operates according to different rules than my regular human world. For me, there is no difference between Ripley from “Alien” and any Katherine Heigl character.”
- Apparently watching every Pedro Almodovar movie in a month will transport you into a Groundhog’s Day of stalkers, transsexuals, and epistolists. Or, just as likely, throw you in a fit of ecstatic passion for campy but luscious interior design.
- Slate explains how Apple manipulates us to want our gadgets to the be the color they feeling like producing at any given year.
- According to this questionably cited but nonetheless thought-provoking article, marriage rates are falling and the age of marriage rising in prosperous East Asian countries.